– starting February 28th
It covers all the needs of those thinking about keeping bees or who have just started.
Cost £50 and consists of 5 2 hour Theory Sessions & 2 Apiary Sessions.
Braintree Beekeepers’ Association
Venue: St Barnabas Church Hall, Claude Ince Avenue, Tye Green, Cressing, CM77 8HL
Day and time: Wednesday 7.30 – 9.30
Duration: 6 weeks plus two practical sessions
- 1st February – Introduction and Bee Anatomy
- 8th February – Equipment and frame making
- 15th February – The beekeeping year
- 22nd February – Hive products (honey, cut comb, beeswax, propolis, mead etc)
- 1st March – Bee pests and diseases
- 8th March – What next? Braintree Beekeepers’ Association, British Beekeepers’ Association, Mentors
- Saturday 1st April
- Saturday 8th April
(Subject to weather conditions – the sessions will be rearranged if it is too cold or wet to undertake hive inspections)
If you would like further information, contact Jan French email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Numbers are limited to 20, so please contact Jan French to check there are still spaces available and she will give you details about where to send your cheque/evidence of the Internet Banking transaction.
Cheques should be made payable to: EBKA Braintree Division
If you use Internet Banking: Barclays Sort Code 20-97-40; Acc. No.: 80089230 – use reference Beginners’ Course
Dengie & Maldon Beekeepers
- For those who would like to experience handling bees before embarking on full training, we offer a number of Taster Workshops. The cost is £25 and includes all your equipment and refreshments.
- Dates Sunday: 25 June; 2 July; 23 July; 6 Aug; 20 Aug and 3 Sept
- Venue: Maldon CM9 6QX
- Cost: £25
- If you have already decided you want to keep bees our Beginners course – The Wonderful World of Beekeeping – is for you. The cost of this is £85 and includes two apiary days, where you will learn about handling bees, as well as the BBKA Guide to Beekeeping (rrp £16.99)
- Dates: 30 January – 27 February (FULL) and 20 March – 24 Apri
- Time: 7pm – 10pm
- Venue: Maldon CM9 5PR
- Cost: £85
- To compliment your beekeeping skills and training, we also offer an online Basic Food Hygiene Certificate. This ensures you are fully compliant with the food hygiene regulations and can extract your honey from hive to mouth with confidence.
- Dates: online
- Time: online
- Venue: online
- Cost: £15
These courses are likely still running, but dates and prices may be out of date.
Chelmsford division run a number of theory ad practical courses for those new to beekeeping, beginners, and more advanced beekeepers through the year. In addition they run a number of Taster sessions where the general public can see inside a working hive. See refer to the Chelmsford website for more details.
Saffron Walden – Beekeeping for Beginners – Our beginners’ course starts on 24th February in Thaxted. There will be 4 classroom sessions and 4 practical apiary sessions in 2015 followed by a 3 further classroom sessions in 2016. The charge is £40.
Southend – Beginner’s Theory course – starting 17th February
Covers all the relevant and necessary subjects to fully consider what beekeeping demands of its beekeepers, as well as contemplate the equipment, skills, knowledge, time and costs involved in keeping your own bees.
Cost £55 (plus £33.50 for required memebership) – 7 weeks